Thursday, July 28, 2011

A Great Crate Update

I've been making progress on the great crate project and slowly transforming this once hideous space to a slightly less hideous space.

1) the 'before' and reason for the much need crate makeovers
2) bought a piece of mdf board from Home Depot and had them cut it down to the proper size.  Because I'll be attaching fabric to the underside, I had each edge cut about a half inch bigger than the actual crate dimensions. While I was there, I purchased white paint samples, water based protective top coat, a small grit sanding block, and a tact cloth. To paint the board, I lightly sanded the sides and top, wiped it down with the tact cloth -- best dusting rag ever, btw! -- and applied a thin layer of white paint using a sponge roller. Once it dried, I repeated the whole process -- sand, wipe, paint, dry, sand, wipe, paint, dry.  I think I did this a total of three times to get the coverage and look I wanted. Then, I repeated the same process with the protective coat using a craft store sponge brush -- sand, wipe, paint, dry, repeat x3. It may have taken a bit of time doing it this way, but it looks so great and no paint has chipped or even scratched.
3) I found this memo board at Hobby Lobby during one of their 50% off wall decor sales -- I know these happen ALL the time, so this find is not that surprising.  Once I make decisions on fabric, I'll dress this up with some pretty colors and ribbon that coordinate with the crate covers.
4) added a few more accessories to make it look more like a table and less like a painted piece of mdf just sitting on top of two dog crates.

I've been working on a few other projects to personalize the space for the two pups. A sophisticated green yarn covered 'N' for Nolan...

...and a brightly colored 'S' for spunky little Shiloh. Don't be fooled by the picture below. That actually is Nolan sleeping in Shi's crate. He loves to go in there during the evenings after Shiloh has been in it all day. I guess he just likes her pillow better.

So those are the latest crate updates. I think I've finally made a decision on fabric to go around the crates, so hopefully it turns out as great in real life as it does in my head!  Best part, it will be 100% free for me!


1 comment:

  1. The progress so far looks great! I love the letters you made for them!

    ReplyDelete